Not Just Candidates: Dos and Don’ts of Interviews for Employers
We’ll finish our month on recruitment with a topic that doesn’t often get covered:
The dos and don’ts of interviews for employers.
There are loads of tips and advice out there for candidates to help them through the process of interviewing, but we forget that not every employer knows the best way to handle interviews.
We want to help.
So we gathered feedback we’ve heard from candidates and put together a list of dos and don’ts of interviews for employers.
Do Google your candidates ahead of the interview.
It’s a quick and easy way to give yourself background on your candidate—from social media footprint to running a blog to completely unable to find the person.
Do give your candidates a heads up about who will be in the interview, how long it will take and any unique situations.
Candidates appreciate knowing ahead of time how many people might be in the room during the interview, or if there will be multiple short interviews with several people.
And, of course, a timeframe is extremely helpful, especially if they need to get off work from their current job.
Plus, giving them warning about special circumstances, such as tricky car parking, is important. You’d hate to make them flustered before the interview even starts.
Do smile, greet and welcome candidates to the interview.
While this seems like an obvious tip, you’d be surprised how many candidates tell us that employers won’t even smile or greet the candidates when they arrive for an interview.
While the employers are there, they simply show up flustered and in a hurry to get on with the interview that they simply forget or just skip over that very important part.
Don’t forget that you are actually meeting someone new, and you should greet them as you would anyone for the first time.
To hear the rest of the dos and don’ts of interviews for employers, watch the video.
Next: Do you have any tips that you’d share from your experiences? Will you implement any of the Do advice in your next interview?
If you’re looking to build extra confidence before your next recruitment process and learn about end-to-end processes that will set your business up for success, book a spot at our NEW live 1-day Business Owner Session on 12 July 2019 at the Lion in North Adelaide.
How do you feel about your company’s recruitment process? Could it use some updates and tweaks? Get in touch with me in one of the following ways:
- Sign up to our BespokeHR Community to receive complimentary access to free useful tips and tools that help navigate your way through people issues.
- Like and follow the BespokeHR Facebook page for free to receive inspirational quotes, reflections and current issues.
- Fast track your leadership and culture with our new 90-day Culture Accelerator Program.
- Book one of our 1-day intensive leadership programs—commercial, practical and highly tool-based to get you walking out with immediate value, clear implementation, quotes, steps and actions. Our next session is a 1-day Business Owner Session on 12 July 2019.
- Private consultation. Work directly with me and my team to help set up your people platforms up for success, just reply to this message, with “Private” in the subject line, and tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you the details!