2019: Excited or Dreading It?
Welcome back from your holidays! I hope you had an awesome break.
While you’re trying not to type 2018 on meeting dates, how do you feel as you look forward to 2019?
Are you excited?
Or are you dreading it?
It’s easy to let time continue to slide by as you slog through the everyday.
Stop for a moment and ask yourself 1 important question.
What do you actually want to happen in 2019?
To help think about what it could be – If you were writing your wrap up now of what you have achieved at the end of December 2019:
- What would you love to have on your list?
- What is important to you?
- What is possible for you and would you be proud to tell people about?
Don’t worry if you don’t immediately know the answer to this. You’re not alone.
If you can’t recall the last time you revisited your bucket list or as I prefer to refer to it as ‘your list for living’. You’re not alone.
Don’t let it take a major event—like getting sick or losing a loved one or even sending a child off to university—to push you towards your list for living.
And when it comes to your business or career, it’s not hard to fall into the trap of getting lost in the day-to-day grind and forgetting to drive toward BIG moves that will actually make a difference in your personal and professional life.
Are you suffering from any of these 4 common signs you’re holding yourself back?
1. You have shiny object syndrome
You get distracted at the potential of some new whiz-bang promise of a shortcut that may not fit your circumstances or are working on things that don’t add value to the company, your team or your life.
2. No set goals
Rather than pushing yourself to reach pre-defined written goals, you keep busy by rocking up to work doing exactly the same thing that you have always done and seem to be moving from putting one fire out to another fire. You feel overwhelmed like you are never getting through your to-do list and are constantly going round in circles.
3. Not measuring impact
Even if you have written goals, you could easily not be marking the milestones you need to achieve them. This means that you’re probably not specific enough in your goals and how you can work towards them each day, week and quarter or don’t know how to recognise quickly if you are going off track.
4. Not excited about what you are doing
If you aren’t focusing on your genius, not passionate about what you do and why you do it or dislike the people around you, it is highly likely that you may be in the ‘dreading it’ camp.
The solution? Go back and define your genius…
What you love doing/are passionate about and why you do what you do (i.e. what gets you out of bed each morning)?
Make the hard call if you are on the wrong track.
It’s incredibly difficult to achieve success or feel successful (whatever that is for you), if you’re not enjoying what you’re doing each day.
If any of these sound all too familiar to you, then use the new year to stop the wheel from moving, and resolve to go big picture in 2019.
Next: What’s the one action you’ll commit to after you’re read this?
Paulette “Goal Smasher” Kolarz
You will notice a change of format in our blog posts. We know how much information comes at you all day, every day. So…we have taken the noise out and are just keeping it plain and simple.
Do you want to start the year with clarity? You can get help with your big-picture thinking by getting in touch with me or connecting in one of the following ways.
- Sign up to our BespokeHR Community to receive complimentary access to free useful tips and tools that help navigate your way through people issues.
- Like and follow the BespokeHR Facebook page for free to receive inspirational quotes, reflections and current issues.
- Fast track your leadership and culture with our new 90-day Culture Accelerator Program http://www.90dca.com.au/
- Book one of our 1-day intensive leadership programs—commercial, practical and highly tool based to get you walking out with immediate value, clear implementation, quotes, steps and actions. Our next session is a 1 day Business Owner Session on 8 March 2019.
- Private consultation. Work directly with me and my team to help set up your people platforms up for success, just reply to this message, with “Private” in the subject line, and tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you the details!