Let’s start the new financial year super clear.
As we head into the beginning of the new financial year, what a great time to reflect and refocus.
Reflect on what we loved, what worked and what perhaps did not work.
What we want more of, what we want less of and what we want to stop doing or start doing.
There are loads of ways to help you reflect.
Despite there being extraordinary circumstances, in some instances they have just exaggerated the best and worst scenarios (and also there were 8 months before that deserve attention).
As Anthony Tjan shares in a Harvard Business Review article, “Without self-awareness, you cannot understand your strengths and weakness, your ‘superpowers’ versus your ‘kryptonite’.”
Through reflection and self-awareness, we can get a clear look at what’s working and what needs improvement.
I know how busy you are but if you want to start the year with purpose and clarity….get ready, grab your notepad and let’s go…
Ps keep your notepad for this month as we will refer back to it each week.
Week 1 Exercises: Your 2019/2020 Year in Review
A few notes for this week:
- Answers can be personal or professional
- These are thought-provoking but also fun
- While you can take your time with the exercises, each one is designed to be completed within 5 minutes or less – don’t over analyse
If you write these in your journal, you’ll always have them to look back on. You can use them when you’re struggling or need a pick-me-up and are great questions to review every 6 months.
Exercise 1: True Positives
Jot down notes to these questions:
- What are 3 things I’m proud I did in the last 12 months?
- Which one of my qualities really shined in the last 12 months?
- What’s one way I surprised myself in the past year?
- What things brought me joy?
Exercise 2: Reflection
Fill in the blanks:
- One big lesson I learned last year was _____________________________________
- I am most excited to work on improving my _____________________________ this year.
- One area or situation that tripped me up this year was __________________________
These answers will help next week when we figure out how to accomplish everything we want next year.
Exercise 3: The Little Things
Finish these prompts:
- One thing that held me back this year was:
- One thing that propelled me forward was:
- One small tweak that improved my quality of life was:
Realising these small things can make a big impact for next year and the years to come.
Exercise 4: Favourites
Respond to the prompts:
- What was my favourite work moment in the last 12 months?
- What was my favourite way to relax and rejuvenate in the last 12 months?
Taking note of what’s healthy and valuable to you will help you put those pieces into action more often.
Now that you’ve got your journal under way, you’re ready to set yourself up for the best year yet.
Next week we’ll dig into developing a successful vision for the next 12 months and following that, we’ll talk about actions and commitments.
Thanks for joining me in preparing for the best 2020/2021 possible!
PS If a friend or work colleague would enjoy preparing for their best year yet, please forward this email to them!
Do you want to get a feel for where your company is sitting RIGHT NOW from a culture and people planning perspective? Start here to identify your issues and generate your plan. Click the link for more info: www.90dca.com.au/cultureiqscore