9 Ways to Help You Feel Less Overwhelmed at Work
If feeling overwhelmed and stressed seems to be the new norm for you, you’re not alone.
It’s part of the cultural phenomenon that places “being busy” as a status symbol or makes you look important.
In fact, it’s such a problem that Deloitte Australia’s research, “The Overwhelmed Employee”, addressed the issue:
From more than 2,400 survey respondents, the researchers found that:
- 41% of employees’ time is spent on “things that don’t satisfy them personally and do not help productivity”.
- 65% of executives rated “the overwhelmed employee” as an “urgent” or “important” trend.
So, it’s not going away anytime soon.
That’s why we’re spending this month talking about feeling overwhelmed at work and how to cope.
We’re starting by providing 9 tips to stop that overwhelming feeling.
1. Stop and breathe.
When you’re in that mode of just feeling totally overwhelmed, it’s hard to do anything, let alone lead an organisation and make the right decisions.
So when you’re feeling like that, it’s best to just stop and breathe.
Take some time and refocus.
2. Go back to your plan.
If you don’t have a plan in place, then that’s your next step.
Your focus is to build out the next 90 days.
Focusing on just the next 90 days makes it a more realistic amount of time for you to plan out what you need to do.
3. Go back over your tasks and prioritise them.
How often does looking at your to-do list overwhelm you?
Well, don’t let it.
Prioritise them in order what needs to get done first, second, etc.
Once you know that, you start checking them off as you finish them, and that always feels good.
To hear the rest of the tips for feeling less overwhelmed at work, watch the video through our blog.
What do you do when you are feeling overwhelmed? Do you have any great tips to share?
If you’re looking to learn about end-to-end processes that will set your business up for success, book a spot at our NEW 1-day Culture Accelerator LIVE event on 12 July 2019 at the Lion in North Adelaide.
Do you feel overwhelmed? Do your employees or customers complain about being overwhelmed? Get in touch with me in one of the following ways:
- Sign up to our BespokeHR Community to receive complimentary access to free useful tips and tools that help navigate your way through people issues.
- Like and follow the BespokeHR Facebook page for free to receive inspirational quotes, reflections and current issues.
- Fast track your leadership and culture with our new 90-day Culture Accelerator Program.
- Book one of our 1-day intensive leadership programs—commercial, practical and highly tool-based to get you walking out with immediate value, clear implementation, quotes, steps and actions. Our next session is a 1-day Culture Accellerator LIVE on 12 July 2019.
- Private consultation. Work directly with me and my team to help set up your people platforms up for success, just reply to this message, with “Private” in the subject line, and tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you the details!